The easiest and most effective way to prevent tooth decay is to establish consistent, everyday habits that help keep your teeth clean and healthy.
Preventive Dentistry in Springfield, MO
Preventing tooth decay is not complicated, and it usually comes down to a handful of lifestyle changes and patterns you practice over and over until they become second nature.
To keep a healthy, cavity-free smile, you should:
- Visit your Springfield, MO general dentist at least every six months for dental exams and cleanings
- Avoid all types of tobacco products
- Floss at least every 24 hours
- Brush your teeth with fluoride toothpaste two to three times each day for at least two minutes at a time
- Consume sugary drinks and snacks sparingly, and always drink water alongside them
- Chew sugarless gum between meals and snacks
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and brush your teeth using light, gentle strokes to avoid damaging your gums
- Seek dental treatment right away if you notice sensitivity or pain in a tooth, and never put off treatment if you’ve experienced a dental trauma
- Rinse with an anticavity or fluoride mouthwash once each day
- Continue to wear your orthodontic retainers regularly to make cleaning between your teeth easier
- Drink plenty of tap or fluoride-treated water throughout the day
For more easy tips and tricks on how to maintain healthy, happy teeth, schedule a dental appointment with one of our Springfield, MO dentists today!